Sexism-in-tech: how to be an entitled prick
Oh god. You know how it is. You are sitting there, reading Hacker News or Reddit or Twitter and suddenly those crazy barmy feminazis are whining again about someone saying something mean. You know what you can do: expose yourself as a massive entitled prick by putting them back in their place.
Not sure how to do this? Here’s a handy guide.
- Claim that because you’ve never seen any discrimination against women in your workplace, that there is therefore no discrimination against women in the industry.
- Claim that the reason women don’t work in technology is due to the long hours. Because it’s not like doctors or nurses or lawyers or teachers and others don’t also have to work long hours.
- Claim that the reason women don’t go into the technology industry is somehow encoded in their DNA or that they are “not wired for tech”.
- Claim that you are all for women’s equality, but that they are “distracting” in the workplace.1
- Claim that anyone who takes issue with sexism is involved in politically correct collectivist grievance politics.
- Claim that any men who agree with the accusations of sexism are themselves wimpy men who are just attempting to bang feminist chicks.
- Claim that the men who agree with the accusations of sexism are gay. (Yeah, what of it?)
- Claim that women can never work in a technology company because they will spend all their time gossiping on the phone to their friends and not get any work done.
- Claim that sexism and lack of female interest is a “cultural” thing and that we can’t do anything about how there aren’t enough women in tech because it’s completely impossible to change culture.
- Claim that the only reason people are bringing up sexism is to justify the introduction of affirmative action policies… which aren’t needed because there’s no sexism and we must hire the best people for the job, even if the best people were the ones who never were given the opportunity to become the best.
- Wonder why we are all so worried about female participation in software development and not at all worried about the low number of men in nursing. Make no mention of the fact that software development is significantly better paid than nursing.
- Repeatedly bring up the fact of how gender (or race or sexual orientation or whatever) “doesn’t matter”. Because when you aren’t discriminated against on the basis of some characteristic, you are right, it doesn’t matter!
- Go on about how “if you just work hard, everything will be fine”. Imply that victims of discrimination or anyone who cares about discrimination don’t work hard. Conveniently ignore the fact that however hard you work, if you happen to be female, you are still paid 15% less than if you happen to be male and that this is stupid and wrong.
If you can follow at least a few of these steps, you may have what it takes to be a sexist prick. Now, go forth to the comment sections of the Internet and put victims of discrimination in their place!
That’s a Jesus and Mo joke, right? Thank you for not provoking my uncontrollable lust! Seriously, though, the complete lack of self-awareness this shows: what, might women and gay men not also be distracted by men too? ↩